Saturday, May 29, 2010

A PROMISE REDEEMED

Telephones have their own use was proved once more. A mother of my old classmate reached me at office over the telephone. She was clear in identifying herself and crisply told me that Uncle was in hospital and was in need of six units of blood. Admiring her ability to communicate in this time of crisis I assured her that the same would be available in a short span of time. She had the presence of my mind to give me the particulars of the hospital and I merely panicked in reaction and reassured her that she need not worry. In hindsight it was the most senseless act since without the particulars of the hospital to whom would the blood be donated and where?

Disconnecting the call, I proceeded to contact my friends who were in the habit of donating blood. After a few calls and finding that some of them would not be in a position to do the needful since the term of three months from the date of the last donation was yet to lapse. Couple of them had undergone a surgery and therefore would not be allowed to donate their blood. After a dozen calls, I managed to scent the first success. Normally, in times of such crisis I have always been used to scoring on the first shot. I had already worked myself up and after giving the relevant particulars the first prospective donor, I proceeded to scout for the next person. As time passed, I was more like a vampire or a dracula which was bloodthirsty and if I had the knowhow of extracting blood then most of them who were in my vicinity would have been subjected to an involuntary blood donation.

Few calls later and the blood having been arranged, I moved on to meet the aged parents of my friend. Discomfiture was writ all on his face, but he made it a point to talk to me and then excuse himself for rest. The folks at the hospital were cordial and it reminded me of a promise to speak of a nurse who had impressed me on an earlier occasion at the hospital.

The lady was probably in her sixties and had a straight walk. Hailing from the Mangalore belt, she could not be missed by anyone who even sauntered into the hospital or was one among the anxious waiting patients or attendants. She knew the needs of the persons waiting, declined to sit and ensured that the wait was minimised by putting the doctors on notice. She ensured that the staff and other nurses attended to the immediate needs of the patients by delegating tasks to the personnel available. Senior and junior doctors took her words seriously. She spoke to people with concern and in lighter vein to infuse humour in a tense atmosphere. In a nutshell she was the present day Florence Nightingale short of a lantern and war heroes.

Another nurse in the same hospital also had an impressive streak. Hailing from Kerala, probably God's laboratory for nursing, she wore a cheerful look, gave timely counsel and ensured no task was left unfinished. At the end of the day, she ensured the attendant was adequately briefed and made light of even the most grave issues. A heir apparent for the present day Florence Nightingale. Blessed be the hospital with such staff and such dedication in a world which is more into pomp and show rather than actual concern.

Reminiscing these moments as I exited, one of the donors or should I call him the victims of my vampire act made an appearance. He astounded everyone by making a solemn vow- if I did not possess a cellphone henceforth, I may be placed on his death row.

Resolute as I am, at least in these matters, I had to state matter of factly that it would serve no purpose. We laughed and parted ways. Blessed be such donors!!!

1 comment:

Sudhi The quest said...

Mobile phone a must :) only for personal purposes :) i Believe it sirji :)