Saturday, April 20, 2013

UNIONS REUNIONS AND JOYS


This was a post which was erroneously deleted and is referred to in NANNy'S DAY. An anonymous reader had commented that the piece revealed the self centred attitude of the blogger. Luckily the exact words were mailed to me by the reader and is reproduced here

A friend is not a person who need not ask you to do only what you like to do. U can also do something to please ur friend.  Friendship is mutual.  You need not hold on to ur opinions as always being right." READ ON


It was one of the celestially blessed days divined by the mortals to unite two souls
in matrimony and one of those few occasions to which I made since the groom in
question desired my presence on sentimental counts. Lost in the crowd attired in
glistening zari works to three piece suits, men and women of various age groups
were lost in their few luxurious moments of socializing before marking their
attendance with the new couple. Children true to their innocence were splashing
around and admiring themselves on the CCTV. Occasions and functions being
a far cry to yours truly, the antics of the children kept me engrossed. Soon some
acquaintances warmed up and attempted to make me comfortable as I made the
way to the dias. Thoughts clamoured my mind as to whether the newly wed would
be engrossed in their new marital status or new found love or in the photographer
and cameraman directing them to strike poses with a ‘cheese’. It made me wonder
as to whether the whole charade could be restricted to the parents and siblings of
the twosome giving them space to themselves. As these thoughts fitted through,
the crowds had successfully jostled me to the dias. Greetings exchanged with
pleasantries and wishes for happiness and prosperity showered, the interruption
came in the form of the photographer taking charge to place us in an order of
his choice for a memento. Couple of flashbulbs later, as we attempted to move, a
deft hand directed us to the dining hall which was a sea of humanity. The ritual
of tossing a sweet through to the vitals being through I made my way out. The
experience still left the question unanswered as to how torturing the two souls who contemplate a life in wedlock by making them stand endlessly greeting people around and grinning till their cheekbones melted could be termed a happy occasion for them. Discreetly pardoning myself of the offence committed, I returned home.

Few days later, it was the occasion of a ground breaking ceremony wherein much
of the fanfare was repeated. The icing on the cake was when I was called upon to
chisel out a piece of the ground for which I could only offer resistance. The crowd
there just placed the tool in my hands and the ritual was compulsorily performed
much to the delight of my should I say friends ( a dilemma considering their act)
around.

If these two were unions of sorts, the prospects of reunions of collegemates and
schoolmates started blossoming on the horizon. Joys undoubtedly come with some hassles.

Thanks to the anonymous reader to have retrieved the rest of the blog. Now I can peacefully continue blogging!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The conventional and traditional procedure for marriage in India may be really tiresome not only to the couple, but also to their parents as it involves more customs to be performed/followed. May be, in future, in days to come, we may expect the weddings to be performed in a simple way, with a small group of well wishers.Wishing that the same will come true in future!

The anonymous reader may not have meant that the attitude of the blogger is self centred; may have generally commented about the piece posted herein.