Tuesday, November 27, 2012

KUMBHAKARNA- VERSION 21ST CENTURY

An attack of gastroenteritis had laid me back and ensured that I was the recipient of the ultimate care. Small discomforts such as the pillow being in an incorrect position or the covers slipping off added to the woes. As I was recovering, I felt the need for a breath of fresh air. The rituals of the motions and the nausea were to be set aside. I ventured out to change this dreary routine and move to the window of the living room and attempt to bring myself to be part of the rest of the world.

A glance outside made my mother draw my attention to a tree opposite the house.  The construction on the site opposite the house was an irritant. Sand lorries and trucks laden with stones competed with each other to unload their burdens. Even as I was about to query her as to what was so fascinating, I noticed that a cradle made out of an old sari was slung from one of the branches of the tree. Therein lay an infant absolutely in bliss. Neither the noise nor the granite slabs below made any difference to the babe. The resourceful mother had ensured that the child was at rest while she earned her livelihood. No management institute could have imparted such a lesson. 

Even as I appreciated both the mother and child, I realised that except on such days of illness, I was blessed with sound sleep during the nights. This brought to my memory two incidents. On one occasion, a house had been burgled a street away and the bike outside had been set on fire. The area residents had been a hassled lot as they had tried to douse the fire and contact the police. All this while yours truly slept through the entire episode much to the chagrin of the adults who were light sleepers.

The other incident was hilarious in hindsight. On duty we had travelled to Shimoga. After five days of hectic activity, our day for return was finalised. Rest assured, I went into deep slumber in the hotel room. Apparently, my friends had held a conference around me and finalised a plan to start a bit early and pay a visit to the famed Jog falls. The whole idea was unknown to me though they were under the impression that I was feigning to be asleep. Subsequently, the next morning, I was disturbed by loud thuds. Finding my room mate fast asleep and a glance at the watch suggesting it was only nearing the Brahmamuhurat, I rose flush with anger and glowered at my friend at the doorstep. The cautious man who is at least a decade senior to me, gently told me to get ready and unfolded the plan finalised. Irritated I told him we could think of it after my slumber. Profusely apologising, he squeezed past me to wake my room mate. To this day this friend of mine never ventures to even make a call to me during the sleep hours.

Thus, Kumbhakarna has his present day version much less the child in the cradle.

No comments: