Tuesday, January 5, 2010

BIRTHDAY, NEW YEAR AND A TRIBUTE

The new year celebrations at work is not my cup of tea. The year 2009 was an exception to this rule. The year 2008 had been a traumatic experience for one of my senior colleagues. He had been suffering from the terminal illness - cancer. Initially, he had suffered more since he had not shared it with anyone. Over a period of time he had come to accept the inevitable. In the month of December 2008, he was in and out of the hospitals and was more eager for the inevitable end. Boosting his morale was a solemn duty I performed. Over the days I had mastered the art of not looking at his condition and tuning into my ultra positive approach angles. I would saunter in nonchalantly and tell him that he looked far better and he would shake his head. The terror at office was a subdued man and took my wishes in his stride. He would smile when I said that we looked forward for his return to office. Once outside, we were always wondering what overcame me to deliver such profound sermons to an ailing man. We were also stunned by the terrifying personality eagerly lapping up such innanities with pleasure. We could sense the childlike need for attention in him. In this scenario, a proposal came up that we should visit him on the New Year's day 2009 to greet him. The unanimous decision was that I should be present and I conceded to the wishes of all.

The year dawned and soon after exchanging pleasantries and wishes at the office we moved to the residence of our colleague. We carried a bouquet and offered it to him. While all of them greeted him, I went further to say that he looked in good health and far more cheerful. He gestured regarding his inability to eat. Much to everyone's chagrin I told him that medicines required some food to act on the system. His family was enthused when he agreed to have some juice. A week or two passed with a couple of visits thrown in.

On 21st of January we were having an argument regarding a visit to his home. The lunch was getting delayed. I declined to join my friends in paying a visit. Long faces were drawn and lunch boxes opened. A culrural fete was on and some of them had gone to attend the same. The telephone rang and the news came in that he was critical. Again the issue of going started. I declined and picked up my spoon. The phone rang to announce his demise. He finally left with a stamp of authority. The only day I declined to visit him he forced me to. We closed our lunch boxes. we moved to his home and attempted to console the family. subsequent day I had to leave out of station and hence could not take part in the funeral.

Having paid the last tributes I reached home to realise that it also happened to be the birthday of another colleague. Realisation dawned as to how the same day could be a celebration for one and mourning for another. I could not help recollecting this when the noted singer Aswath passed away on his own birthday. What should be the day for his family? Celebration or mourning?

No comments: